Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wow. It's been a long time... 9/20/07


I know it's been a while since I last blogged, but it's been very busy here. Every day I have a language class from 9:00 to 12:45 and then a culture class for two or three hours in the afternoon. Since the culture class is scheduled to go until at least 5:00 three or four nights a week, I have to balance blogging time with say, grocery shopping. But, fear not loyal readers, I have a (now) funny story.

Two nights ago, Amanda and I decided that we could conceivably take another four day trip next weekend, as long as we left in the afternoon or evening on Thursday and didn't have to skip the morning class. Well, she had a test the next day, so she put everything in my hands (including picking the destination). After the learning experiences of the last trip, I was very, very careful. And here's what I came up with. We're flying out of Frankfurt to Milan next Thursday evening. I don't even have to skip my culture course. There's a shuttle that takes us directly from the airport to the center of town, and our hotel provides a map of where it is with regard to where the bus drops us off. I triple-checked the dates, and the hotel is booked for the right nights. So lets talk prices.

Two Round-trip plane tickets: €130
Two Round-trip Shuttle passes from the Airport to Downtown: €29
Three Nights in a highly-rated Hotel: €195
The peace of mind of knowing that I checked all these things so many freaking times that I memorized all of this: Priceless

So I go home and I'm all excited to tell Amanda about all of this, and she's all excited too, because this is a really good deal. And then she says the magic (and hateful) words. "You know that there are two Frankfurt's in Germany, right? The airport we're flying out of is the right one, right?" !!!??? Well, you can guess what happened.

There were, perhaps, a few curses and a little bit of shared panic, until we pulled out Amanda's gigantic map and tracked down all th airports near either one. And it turns out that I did not screw this up. We do not have to first travel to the border of Poland before flying to Milan. Yay for not screwing up! And yay for Milan!

Then, as it turns out, Ryanair is offering a travel special in October. Flights to and from Spain are around a dollar, and then all on has to pay are the fees. So we're thinking that we will definitely be taking advantage of that. Barcelona, here we come.

Exchange Rates:
$1=€.72
€1=$1.39

That is... less than happy, if I do say so myself. Oh well, maybe they'll improve in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment