Tuesday, June 29, 2010

It's Been a While 9/12/07


Hello. Sorry that it's been so long since I last blogged, but the new hotel in Sweden didn't have internet access and I just started the German culture class, which severely limits my available internet time. First: Sweden.

Absolutely loved it. On Friday we found the new hotel and then went to the Nationalmusseum, which was mostly an art museum. They had an excellent collection (I was just generally impressed, but Amanda, who has taken classes on such things, was really impressed with the diversity of the collection). It was pretty exciting. Then we got lasagne for dinner and walked around for a while. The new hotel was much, much nicer than the Hostel, even though it was not on a boat. It even had a television, which was good because I have very limited access to that as well. We watched BBC a lot.

On Saturday we went to the
Nobel Prize Museum, which I thought was amazing because one of the laureates that they did a video portrait of was Barbara McClintock, who we read about in my Women in Biology class. She won the Nobel Prize in 1983 for her work with 'Jumping Genes' in Maize. That made me happy. Random Trivia. Fewer than 40 women have won the Nobel Prize, and only one of them won twice. Guess who, and which prize? Marie Curie for Physics and then for Chemistry. Did you guess that? Bet not... After that we went to the Royal Palace to see the crowned jewels and the antiqities etc. Very cool. I got carded for the first time ever and had to show my passport. It was very exciting. Sadly, the computers here are going to shut down in about three minutes, so I have to get off, and can't relay much more now. We did manage to get home though.

Exchange Rates

$1=.72€
€1=$1.38

Dollar is down... that's not good. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment