Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dad, Köln and the power of Visas. 11/6/07

It's been about a week since I last blogged. On Thursday my dad came over. Despite a few problems (like luggage theft) his flights went pretty smoothly. He claims that it is because on both Icelandic Air flights, he put money in the available envelopes for crippled Icelandic children who want to travel. Good karma.

We got back to Marburg in the evening and got dinner, unpacked (Thank you for the presents Mum, Grammie and Aunt Beth!) and more or less went to bed. The next day we walked around Marburg (we went to the castle and the old city and did most of the touristy stuff). Unfortunately for my dad, we were unable to find much by way of hardware stores. We did look though. The next day we went to Köln to see the chocolate museum and the Dom, which is an incredibly large cathedral. The last time my dad and I were in Europe together, we climbed to the top of St. Pauls Cathedral in London. This time we did the Domin Köln. 509 steps. I'm not sure how much my legs really appreciated this tradition. On Sunday he flew out again, and I got to do homework and go to a tutorial at night.

And then yesterday came the genius realization. As of this coming Saturday, I'll have been in Germany for 3 months. And I have not gotten my residential visa yet. And the office is closed on Tuesday. And I'll be in Barcelona on Saturday! Oh no, oh no! I could be detained in Spain! (Totally my fault, by the way). So I contacted the people in charge of my program, and 14 worry-filled hours later, they called back to say that they had gotten an exception for me and I could go get my Visa today. I am now legally in Germany. Yay! What a good day. Off to Barcelona tomorrow at 5:00 AM! Exchange Rates: $1=.68 Euro 1 Euro = $1.44


No comments:

Post a Comment