Thursday, July 1, 2010

Pyramids, Camels and slightly sketchy tour guides! Oh My! 1/2/10


So, I have received an email, dear readers, suggesting that there was general disappointment when I did not post a blog for January 2nd. My response is that yesterday was very busy, and that I will try to be more diligent in my updates. Whether that happens... we'll see.

Yesterday was a very big day, as it included the Pyramids, the camel, and a pretty rocking party. We got up around seven, left by eight, and were in Giza around nine. It was pretty hazy, and while we were driving, all of a sudden you could see this massive sillouette through the fog - first pyramid sighting! When we arrived, it became evident that there were three huge pyramids dominating the skyline, with six smaller pyramids thrown into the mix as well.

We went up to get tickets, and for the first time (though it had happened at the Cairo Museum, and has happened several times since) I realized that even as a foreign student, I was still paying significantly more than Farah. My ticket cost $6, her ticket cost 40 cents, or something like that. Apparently, this is a government policy to encourage locals to get involved with the Egyptian history. Which is good to know.

Anyway, we got past the gate (everything has metal detectors here), and very quickly found a guide with some camels who was willing to take us around. Now, getting on a camel so that you can commence with the riding process is quite the ordeal. When you start, the camels are on their knees (And still pretty darned tall). You get on top, and kinda adjust yourself between the humps. Then, the camel stands on his front two legs (still kneeling on the back two legs) and you lurch backwards. Then the camel gets up entirely, and you lurch forwards. There's very little to hang on to, and you feel as if you are going to tumble straight off the darned thing. We didn't, thank goodness.

After we had ridden a few feet, we had to determine the length of our camel ride. We were talked into taking the long ride, which ended up costing around $75, for almost two hours of camel experience. We started by riding past the pyramids (with frequent stops for pictures) and eventually wound our way out to a spot that was far enough away to see all nine of the pyramids together. On the way, I learned that Napoleon had accidentally bombed the great pyramid, which explains why the alabaster at the top has seen better days. I have some really awesome pictures of everything (Facebook and I are fighting over uploading right now. I am sorry to say that Facebook is winning). When we stopped to see all the pyramids together, we dismounted (a very similar experience to getting on the camel) and there was another guy there to give (trick us into buying) soda, and to take some pictures, which was very helpful.

After remounting, we went to the sphinx, which we observed at a distance. Camel tour guide then announced that the tour was over, but Farah made him take us back. I had no idea what was going on. But Farah is awesome. Next, we spent some time climbing on the pyramids and taking pictures while we worked our way over to the Sun Boat museum. The Sun Boat is one of the boats that transported the stones for the pyramids from Luxor and Aswan. I guess that what happened was that they excavated the boat, which was next to one of the pyramids, and they lifted it and built the museum around it. It was very well done, and an absolutely massive ship.

The last thing that we did in Giza was to go check out the Sphinx at a closer vantage point. We still didn't get all that close, as the Sphinx was definitely the most crowded part of the trip, but it was really cool to get to see it with the pyramids in the background. Basically one of two pictures that I think of when I think of Egypt, which was really neat.

When we got back to Farah's house, we hung out for a little while and then did some errands. I tried more Egyptian food, and we did a little bit of souvenir shopping, which was good. By the time we got back, we only had a few hours before the party that night. The party was really neat, because I got to meet a lot of Farah's friends. One of the girls had gone sandboarding the day before, and she was telling us all about that. It sounds like something that would definitely be worth trying, though I think I'll try snowboarding first - much easier to find in the states! The food was fabulous, and I had a great time.

So that's my blog for yesterday. I'll write my blog for today tomorrow morning (while all of you are asleep) and you can all hear about Alexandria and all the cool stuff that we did there. Until then, I'm exhausted and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment