Thursday, July 1, 2010

Museums and Feluccas 1/6/10

Hey everyone. I'm writing this on Wednesday morning, which means that this time tomorrow, I'll (hopefully) be starting my final descent into Paris :(.

Yesterday was awesome. We got started a little later, which was nice, and we went to the Royal Palace and the Coptic Museum. The palace was interesting. The majority of it seemed to be different guns (many of which looked quite uncomfortable to shoot) and swords. There was a whole section on all the presents that the President of Egypt has received. He's gotten some kinda lame gifts. Lots of plaques and vases. There was a very nice palm tree from the Emirates, but that was pretty much the top of the list.

The Coptic museum was also pretty neat. Probably the best thing about the museum itself was the fact that all the rooms had these really ornate carved ceilings. I would have taken pictures, but alas. They stole my camera. Other than the intense woodwork, the museum had a lot of stone carvings, paintings, textiles, and manuscripts. While I don't wish that every book in existence today was a foot and a half by two feet, written in calligraphy, I feel like everyone needs one or two really fancy old books. I have none. Boo.

After the Coptic museum, we headed back, had lunch, and went out for the felucca ride. Feluccas are large sail/party boats. We hit the Nile just before sunset for an hour and a half cruise (which was approximately $4 per person). Around sunset, Farah decided that now was the time to collect the Nile water that was promised to Alissa, so she but a plastic bag over her hand and leaned out over the side to collect the water in a Dasani bottle. I filmed and narrated. That's the video that I have yet to upload. I'm now thinking that I may have missed my true calling in film. Luckily for everyone else.

Around ten last night, we went over to Farah's friend's house for a get together. Little wine, lots of fun.

Today we get to go to the market (massive), and see some more mosques. Yay souvenir shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment