Thursday, June 18, 2015

Icy Straight Point

In my continuing effort to play catch-up, this post is for Tuesday, which was our first port since leaving Vancouver.  Icy Straight Point is fairly new on cruise itineraries, and we didn't dock until a little before 3:00 pm.

In the morning, we did trivia (still not lighting the world on fire), watercolor, morning stretch, and did some reading on the deck.  I have yet to finish my first book of the cruise (which was also what I read on the many hours of flight)... but soon.

This is my watercolor for day one.


This is my watercolor for day two.  I feel like they could be worse.  And maybe they're even getting better.

Our excursion in Icy Straight Point was a kayak trip.  It went super well, and we both really enjoyed it.  The weather was great (except for the driving wind that we fought against the whole way back), and we got to see several adult and juvenile bald eagles.  Our guide also pulled up a crab pot, so that we could see what seemed to be just massive crabs.  I opted to leave my cell phone on dry land (I got nervous when I had to sign a waiver seven times, and also when we went through the evacuate-your-kayak-from-underwater talk... that didn't happen).

Our guide had always lived in Alaska, and gave us an overview of the local economy  (previously timber, but now fishing and tourism), and the mixed bag that cruises tend to bring.  Some weeks, cruises come through five or six days, which is a lot for what can reasonably be described as a fishing village.


When we got back, I asked about the distance that we paddled.  Our guide said that it was about 2.5 miles, but it was probably more like 18.  For real.  The wind, man.  But, all in all, we had a great day.

Tomorrow, we sail to the Hubbard Glacier... so, lots of pictures tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment